Unified solution for transcoding and monitoring
Customer: Balticom A/S
Balticom is one of the leading Telecom operators in Riga, Latvia. The company delivers services of digital and analog TV broadcasting, Internet and VoIP.
Transcoding of TV channels from MPEG-2 to AVC/H.264 video format to provide unification for all IPTV channels. Monitoring quality of input and output streams at the head-end station.
- Software-based solution enabling the customer to utilize their own hardware equipment;
- Mechanism for quick back up in N+1 Mode;
- Beneficial price-performance ratio.
Monitoring of TV channels:
- Monitoring a large number of TV channels within a single system;
- Integration into the existing Fault Management System;
- Configuration of monitoring settings for a particular channel.
Implementing a transcoding system at the head-end station using a software transcoder Elecard CodecWorks, supporting quick back up in N+1 mode. Deployment of a monitoring system to control quality of input services and validate it after the transcoding modules.
- Video formats and bitrates of all channels comply to the single specification.
- Smooth playback at end-user devices.
- Improved subscribers' experience with Balticom services.
- Unified video format helps to avoid TV-set or decoder reconfiguration when broadcast network parameters change.
The transcoding solution consists of the main server based on Intel Xeon e3 supporting QuickSync technology and a server for quick back up in N+1 mode. The solution transcodes 100 SD and HD channels from MPEG-2 into AVC/H.264 format with unified bitrate and framerate. Additionally for some channels an audio stream is transcoded from AAC into MPEG-1.
The monitoring system comprises 2 Elecard Boro probes and a local server installed for collection and aggregation of the statistical data.
“Our company chose Elecard transcoding solution as it offered high quality and performance for a reasonable price. The most striking advantage for us is the fact that it’s a software-based application not depending much on hardware. It significantly simplifies operation routines (redundancy, backup, repair activities) and ensures flexible configuration of settings. We also purchased a monitoring solution from Elecard as we were satisfied with their team and really appreciated the level of their technical support while working on the previous project. A winning combination of top usability with a variety of nessessary settings proves that we made the right choice. ”
Dmitry Beluaev, Chief of TV Department, Balticom